If you want to learn about the MG/YA titles with disabled characters that are out there, Disability in Kidlit offers several ways to do so.
- Looking for specific content on the blog? Use the search box in the upper right corner, or see our content page for a search form allowing you to filter by disability, genre, and more, and a categorized list of all posts so far.
- Looking for book recommendations? Visit our Honor Roll, a list of books with disabled characters the editors enthusiastically recommend.
- Looking for themed book lists, such as “historical fiction with disabled protagonists” or “Black disabled protagonists“? Browse through our Tumblr tag.
Note that these lists are not intended as recommendations. We haven’t read the vast majority of the books and thus cannot and will not vouch for them; we simply want to provide a resource so that people know the books are out there.
- Looking for an up-to-date list of MG/YA featuring major characters with disabilities? You’ll want our Goodreads account. Use the shelves on the left-hand side if you’re looking for a book portraying a specific disability. If a book is on our “wishlist shelf,” it means we’d love to receive a review for it! See our review policy.
Keep in mind that this list is quantitative, not qualitative. We haven’t read the vast majority of the books and cannot vouch for their contents—we simply want to provide a resource so that people know the books are out there.
We welcome corrections, additional information, and book suggestions from anyone. However, we only include books with disabled main characters or prominent secondary characters.
When you suggest a book, we’d appreciate it if you could include a Goodreads link (or use the built-in Goodreads recommendation feature) and as much info as possible: is the disabled character the main character, or a secondary character? What kind of disability/ies are featured? If you’d like to provide additional information, such as age category, genre, and whether the character is also a person of color or queer, that would be marvelous. Please send your suggestions to email@example.com or via Goodreads itself.
- Looking for other resources? Please first see our FAQ.